Sunday, April 30, 2006

Shock! Awe! Impossibility!

Normally, I don't have much patience when it comes to craft-like things. My mother and sister are fabulous seamstresses. Me? Not so much. I just could never get into it. When my mom suggested I learn how to sew, my response was something along the line of running away in terror. She tried. And failed. Sewing...so not my thing. My sister, I know, had trouble understanding why I wouldn't want to create my own clothes from ultra-thin pieces of paper and fabric. I can't explain it myself. It simply is.

So, when I announced to my sister today that I'd learned how to knit, she gaped at me, and there was silence as she stared at me in open-mouthed shock. After she'd recovered, she said, "I...have no response to that." Honestly, I wish I'd had a camera with me, just to capture the look on her face. Julie doesn't really shock that easily, but I've managed to do it with the words "I taught myself how to knit." I've never seen her look so stunned!

Frankly, I'm a little surprised myself. Knitting was one of those things that I only had a slight interest in. As opposed to sewing, where there was no interest whatsoever. Once upon a time, I've learned to embroider and crochet, but never knit. So, this a first for me. I went a bit crazy at Jo-Ann fabrics. I bought myself a how-to book, some green yarn, a package of needles (plastic - they were on sale and they glitter in different colors. I'm a geek, yes. Moving on...), a size G crochet needle, and other assorted things. Then, I spent most of Friday casting on and learning how to knit and purl.

The result? My first practice piece (which is...nothing. Just yarn weaved together in no particular form.) is now finished! My, I've been busy this weekend! I've discovered something very important about knitting - it's addicting! In the worst way! Or the best way, however you want to look at it.

So yes. I've been assimilated. And it's all April's fault! Go check out her blog and you'll see why! (Psst...it's Coffee Crazy Knitters. The link is on the right. You know you want to!)

6 Comments:

At Mon May 01, 07:00:00 AM PDT, Blogger JustApril said...

I am SO EXCITED!!!! heheheheheeeeee
Knitting is beyond addictive, it's hypnotic and calming to me. I love Julie's reply "I have no response to that!" - Joe versus the volcano! hahahaha

I'm such a proud knitting borg right now, I can't tell ya how much! hahaha

 
At Mon May 01, 09:59:00 PM PDT, Blogger Tiflissa said...

Ack! I really have no "knittings" yet. Jules said she'd teach me more...once she got over her shock. Oh, and she also stole my line..."I have no response to that." It's something I say all the time when stunned. I've seen Joe Versus the Volcano twice, but I don't remember that part.

And yes, you should be proud of your Queen Knit of Borg status! =)

 
At Tue May 02, 03:20:00 AM PDT, Blogger JustApril said...

It was Meg Ryan as the flibbertygibbit that said, "I have no response to that" about 2 or 3 times. I love that movie it just cracks me up.

 
At Tue May 02, 05:26:00 AM PDT, Blogger Tiflissa said...

The movie is definitely fun! And now that you mention it, I do remember that part - I'm just not sure where I got the phrase from, 'cause I was saying it before I'd ever seen the movie! And I don't think Julie has either...go figure.

 
At Wed May 03, 06:01:00 PM PDT, Blogger Elaine said...

Congratulations! I've brought a few people over to the yarn side myself. Your sister's response to you getting your craft on is about what my response would be if my sister said she was knitting. Only I think my head would spin around while I spit up pea soup!

 
At Wed May 03, 08:56:00 PM PDT, Blogger Tiflissa said...

Hee! Just about! I don't think I could've shocked her more if I told her I was getting married...it would be shocking to me, too, since there's not even a boyfriend! =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home